Don’t ask me that.
Do I have to answer every question that is directed at me? Is it rude to not answer questions even if to answer would be no big deal? I ask because it seems like so many people feel free to ask just about anything these days. I am not talking about friends and family, I am talking about people I see in line at the store, people ringing up my purchases, and people at work who I don’t even pretend to like. I am getting rather tired of it so I have compiled the following list for reference in case any one of those people happen to be reading this! Please, don’t ask me the following things:
- Are you pregnant?
- What is your zip code? (unless you are sending me a gift!)
- What is your phone number?
- Are you going to eat that? (You KNOW I am going to eat that. I am taking a bite of THAT right now!)
- You got a second? (If I am sitting at my desk, pulling my hair out and I have a glazed expression on my face, the answer is no)
- Did anyone tell you the men’s toilet is clogged? (Yes, and? Do you want me to get out my plumbing tools? I know it is my job but I DON’T WANT TO DEAL WITH IT!)
- What do you do all day?
- Where is Bubba? (my boss tells me nothing, so I know nothing. Just fyi!)
- Are those real? (No, not boobs. I’m talking about earrings, nails, etc.)
- How much did that cost?
- Is your credit good?
- Can my son spend the night at your house? (I don’t know you and you sure don’t know me. That’s scary.)
- Have you tried Weight Watchers?
- Why don’t you try Weight Watchers?
- Who do you think you are? (I don’t think about who I am. I just am!)
- You don’t care, do you? (Unless I love you or am “in love” with you, the answer is probably yes. Don’t make me lie to you.)
- Did you follow-up on that? (probably not)
- Do you mind if I go ahead of you? (if you look desperate enough, I will probably offer to let you cut in line. Give me a chance to offer. It makes me feel powerful.)
- What are you doing about your child’s weight? (Same thing I am doing about your weight. Nothing.)
- Do you hate me? (I probably do at the moment you ask.)
- Are you about to start? (Am I about to start what? Screaming at you? YES!)
- Is that necessary? (If I am doing it, then yes, in my mind, it is necessary)
- Do you want to buy our discount card, apply for a credit card, or buy this extra item. (No)
- How do you not feel guilty? (I refrain from talking to people like you who try to make me feel guilty)
- Are you going to wear that? (I am in my car pulling out of the drive way so, yeah, I guess so.)
And my favorite…
- OMG! You have a degree? (Yeah, don’t act so surprised. I use my psychology degree every day dealing with you and people like you!)
Ahhhh… I feel so much better now.